Hey good people! Every week I want to try and drop a simple & quick breakfast option for you. If you are like me, spending a lot of time cooking breakfast especially after working overnight is a pain. So, having choices that are quick and healthy are important.
Some will be recipes that I’ve made, while others I will try in the future. More importantly just recipes I wanted to share with you guys. I hope to see you guys try these recipes out. I want to try and keep them on the vegetarian and vegan friendly side. Hopefully these recipes will help start your day on the right track!
Like, share, comment, repost. If you guys have any recipes leave a comment or DM on my IG @cookingwithjuice!
Our first breakfast or choice, and popular brunch item, is a very filling and healthy one. I usually make this the day after a taco night at home. It’s a good meal that will give you the energy you need for all your running around that day. This recipe is simple, everything you need besides the eggs, is stuff you’ll probably already have.
Now, there are more in-depth ways to make this authentic Mexican dish, but I’m just telling you my way. I wanted to give you guys the version that won’t take up a lot of time in the kitchen. Working overnight, I don’t like spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking breakfast. So during the week, simple, healthy and time effective meals are a must.
The ingredients you will need are; Pica de gallo (or your favorite jar of salsa), beans, (I prefer black, but pinto beans work too), cheese, tortillas, eggs, cilantro, and hot sauce if you like. Also, if you like spice, try adding a little Ancho Chili pepper to the beans as well.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high, coating the pan with the oil. Heat the tortillas in the pan, a minute or two on each side, until they are heated through, softened, and pockets of air bubble up inside of them.
- Add the beans to a pan along with smashed garlic, 1/2 cup warm water and a pinch of salt. Cook over low heat until warmed through, smashing slightly with a fork.
- Fry the eggs. Add a little butter to the pan, about two teaspoons for 4 eggs. Heat the pan on medium high heat. Crack 4 eggs into the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for runny yolks, more for firmer eggs.
- To serve, spread the refired beans on the tortilla, then a fried egg. Top with the Pico/jar sauce, queso fresco, sprinkle with cilantro and a couple of dashes of hot sauce.
- You can add slice of avocado as well, if you are into that. Avocados are overrated to me, but that’s my hot take for the day.
Overall, the reasons I enjoy this dish is because its quick to make, and it is something different for breakfast. While being easy to change and add toppings to truly make it your own. Huevos Rancheros has a nice balance of protein, fiber and antioxidants that will keep you going all day.